Friday, June 8, 2012

Book Beginnings: A Train Ride

Most Fridays, I participate in Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader. This week my entry is for a vintage mystery.

The guidelines of the meme are: Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Don't forget to include the title and author of the book.


Visit the post at Rose City Reader and view the other links and get a glimpse of books you may not be familiar with.

The first two sentences of my latest read is:
It was five o’clock on a winter’s morning in Syria.  Alongside the platform at Aleppo stood the train grandly designated in railway guides as the Taurus Express.
This beginning evokes thoughts and images of exotic locations and travels in faraway lands. The book delivers, although the most of the action (or detection) takes place inside the train. I am about a third of the way through and enjoying the trip very much.

The book is Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.

I have not read anything by Agatha Christie for a long time. I read a lots of her books when I was younger. I have seen the movie based on this book, so I know the plot, but I am finding that this book is so enjoyable to read that it doesn't matter.

5 comments:

Chris Thompson said...

I just recently finished my first Agatha Christie novel, Cat Among the Pigeons, and I liked it.

Here's my Book Beginnings.

Eva @View from the Hillside said...

I've never been a great fan of reading Agatha Christie, don't really know why. I guess we just never clicked. But, I love the tv-series.

JC Jones said...

Love Agatha Christie. She is often a re-read. Here is m post: Book Beginnings

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

I am a big Agatha Christie fan, whether it be books, films, or television productions, I try not to miss anything.

I love each and every one of her eccentric characters and the drole way in which the crimes are solved.

Yvonne

wcs53 said...

I really do need to read some Agatha Christie. I know I'd enjoy her books. Thanks for visiting my Friday post and have a great weekend.