Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge 2013: Wrap Up Post

In 2013, the theme for the Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge was Scattergories.  Bev at My Reader's Block came up with over 30 categories and challenged us to read vintage mysteries that fit the categories. The goal was to read eight mysteries that fit eight different categories. Once the 8 book minimum was met, any category (except the Get Out of Jail Free category) could be repeated any number of times. 

 
Listed below are the books I read for this challenge.


Vintage Categories:

Colorful Crime: a book with a color or reference to color in the title

    The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie
          
Leave It to the Professionals: a book featuring cops, private eyes, secret service, professional spies, etc.

    The Mugger by Ed McBain
    The Pusher by Ed McBain

Jolly Old England: one mystery set in Britain

    Crooked House by Agatha Christie

Yankee Doodle Dandy: one mystery set in the United States
     The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett



World Traveler: one mystery set in any country except the US or Britain
    The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie

Dangerous Beasts: a book with an animal in the title

    The Chinese Parrot by Earl Derr Biggers

Scene of the Crime: a book with the location of the crime in the title 
      Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Planes, Trains & Automobiles: a mystery that involves a mode of transportation.
     The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

Size Matters: a book with a size or measurement in the title 
    The Big Sleep by Raymond  Chandler

A Calendar of Crime: a mystery with a date/holiday/year/month/etc. in the title
     Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

Psychic Phenomena: a mystery featuring a seance, medium, hypnotism, or other psychic or "supernatural" characters/events
     Murder at Hazelmoor by Agatha Christie ("table-turning")

Serial Killers: Books that were originally published in serial format, probably from the pulp era.
      The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie

 Get Out of Jail Free: This is a freebie category.  One per customer. 
       The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov 
       (cross-genre mystery, sci fi)

I was disappointed not to read 16 vintage mysteries this year. But I did make progress and I did enjoy what I read.

You will notice that the majority of books that I read for the Vintage Mystery Challenge this year were by Agatha Christie, mainly because I am trying to read all her books, roughly in order, and am participating in the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge, hosted by Kerrie of Mysteries in Paradise. I haven't read an Agatha Christie that I did not enjoy since I started the challenge, so that is going well.



12 comments:

neer said...

Oh I am sorry that you couldn't read 16 mysteries for this but amglad that you enjoyed the books esp. Agatha Christie's. Two of them are my favourites too: Murder at Hazelmoor and Hercule Poirot's Christmas.

A Merry Christmas to you.

TracyK said...

Neer, we will see how I do next year. Of course, in 2014, I will be trying tor read both Golden Age and Silver Age mysteries. And I will get in one or more Anthony Gilbert mysteries in 2014.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, it's nice to end the year on Agatha Christie's books. You did well on the vintage challenge. I hope to read many of her novels in 2014. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Tracy - Well done! Even with the emphasis on Christie (which, as you can imagine, I found quite appealing!), you read a really interesting variety of vintage books. Thanks for sharing this summing-up!

TracyK said...

Thanks, Prashant. I will be reading more Agatha Christie books in 2014 also.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year! I am looking forward to reading in 2014.

TracyK said...

Margot, I enjoyed every Christie I read this year. And I hope for even more variety in Golden Age and Silver Age mysteries in 2014.

Clothes In Books said...

Well done Tracy, this sounds really complicated to keep track of, though I expect it's easier while you're doing it.... Nice selection there. Now fo4r 2014's challenges...

TracyK said...

Moira, the vintage challenge in 2014 uses similar categories but with a bingo theme. So even more complex. I will just read what I want to read and see whether I can get a bingo or not after I fill in some squares.

I have vowed to do less challenges this year, but I keep seeing challenges that would be interesting. One for reading books by women, one for diversity.

Bev Hankins said...

Congrats on the finish! Thanks so much for joining me for the vintage reads in 2013 and I hope you are able to make some excellent Bingos in 2014.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Bev. I am excited about the Silver Age Bingo too. It is going to be fun.

col2910 said...

Tracy, well done. I can't claim to have read any of these myself but hope to get to Chandler, Hammett and Biggers and of course Christie at some point.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Col. I hope to get to more Chandler and Hammett this year, and also include John D. MacDonald and Ross Macdonald. And Biggers. I seem to read one Biggers a year, which is OK since he only wrote six Charlie Chan mysteries.