Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Reading from my TBR Piles



In the first three months of this year, I committed to reading only books from my To Be Read piles, books that had been purchased before the end of 2013. This commitment was for the TBR Triple Dog Dare. I had a few books that I had committed to reviewing for NetGalley before the end of 2013; those were my only exceptions. The TBR Dare was a great motivator to concentrate on the books I already had. 

This post is also a summary of my progress for this quarter for the Mount TBR Reading Challenge for 2014. This challenge is hosted by Bev at My Reader's Block. Other summary posts for the first quarter are linked here.


I read 18 books from my TBR piles in January, February, and March of 2014. 



Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi 
A Case for Mr. Crook by Anthony Gilbert
Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley
The Danger Within by Michael Gilbert
The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov 
Henrietta Who? by Catherine Aird
The Little Shadows by Marina Endicott 
The Maze of Cadiz by Aly Monroe 
The Death of a Butterfly by Margaret Maron
Behind the Night Bazaar by Angela Savage
Under the Dragon's Tail by Maureen Jennings
Summer of the Big Bachi by Naomi Hirahara
The Indigo Necklace by Frances Crane
After the Armistice Ball by Catriona McPherson
Touchstone by Laurie R. King
In the Heat of the Night by John Ball
Locked In by Kerry Wilkinson
Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch





My favorite cover in this group was for A Case for Mr. Crook. I love vintage paperback covers. It is a Green Door Mystery, published by Pyramid Books, and features a skeleton hand. What more could you want?




18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracy - I completely agree about that cover! It's wonderful! And well done on getting so much of your TBR read. I'm impressed.

col2910 said...

Tracy, nice to see one of us making a dent in the pile! You go (and I'll catch up later)!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on making such a solid dent in the TBR! I really need to follow your lead. I am regretting not joining in with one of those challenges at the beginning of the year now.

Clothes In Books said...

I think 18 from the TBR pile is amazing - we're all full of congratulations and envy! And you don't have to have a skeleton-cover collection to admire that one, it's excellent.

Anonymous said...

This is excellent. Because of your blog, I have so far read six books in my TBR stacks.

In your list, I've read Touchstone, Behind the Night Bazaar -- which I loved (Jayne Keeney is a favorite character; I eagerly await book four in her adventures by Angela Savage), and Summer of the Big Bachi.

I want to try the Aird book, the Monroe and the Maron -- although I've read most of the Deborah Knott series over the years. I'd like to find the Crane, the McPherson and Wilkinson books somewhere in my long-term travels among the library's stacks.

neer said...

This is absolutely wonderful Tracy. Your collection is very interesting. And I agree, the cover is a winner.

TracyK said...

Margot, It really was a good exercise to stick only to books I already owned at the beginning of the year, but now I may go overboard reading the newer ones I have bought.

TracyK said...

Col, I am sure you will catch up. You read so fast and you have a lot of books on the TBR pile that you do want to read.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Marie. I just hope I can continue by reading at least half of my books from the TBR pile. More would be better.

TracyK said...

Moira, I do love that cover. Sometimes I like the covers as much as the content.

TracyK said...

Kathy, I am looking forward to reading more books by Angela Savage too. I hope you find those other books too.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Neer. All the books were good reads also, a plus.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Congratulations - I ended up having to bail on the TBR challenges sadly (just lack the discipline) - but you are really on top of this TracyK!

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, what a terrific first quarter you've had! Eighteen books from your TBR pile is excellent. Add the variety of books read to it.

TracyK said...

Sergio, I really did like concentrating on TBR pile books this quarter. The real challenge is to continue on it. Always new, shiny books out there (or wonderful vintage books out there).

TracyK said...

Prashant, Thanks. My reading is slowing down as I get ready for a trip later in the month. Don't know how well I will do on any of my challenges.

w said...

Way to Go Tracy! You are inspiring me to focus on my own tbr pile albeit unofficially. Keep up the good work.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Keishon. Now if I could just work on buying less books.