Saturday, August 30, 2014

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril IX


This is the third year that I have participated in R.eaders I.mbibing P.erilThis event is hosted by Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings. It starts in September and goes through October and celebrates "all things ghastly and ghostly" as we move into Fall.

A description of the event:
The purpose of R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril IX is to enjoy books and movies/television that could be classified (by you) as:
Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.
There are two simple goals for R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril IX
1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.
See this post for ways that you can participate. In addition to books, movies, and television, you can post about short stories or join in a group read. There is a R.I.P. Review Site where participants may post links to any book or screen posts related to this event.

These books are some that I considered reading last time and it would be nice to read one or two of them this time:
Ghost Hero by S. J. Rozan
The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver
Garden of Beasts by Jeffery Deaver
The Ghosts of Belfast by Stuart Neville
Other books I may include are:
The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill 
Down Cemetery Road by Mick Herron
Siren Of The Waters by Michael Genelin 
Death Is a Lonely Business by Ray Bradbury
Ghost in the Machine by Ed James
Red Bones by Ann Cleeves
Garnethill by Denise Mina
These are the specific "challenges" I will aim at:



Peril the First: Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between.


Peril on the Screen: This is for those of us that like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows or Midsomer Murders, or your favorite film. 

15 comments:

Cath said...

That's in interesting list you have there. The only one I know is Red Bones so I'll be interested to read about any of the others you decide to read. Good luck!

TracyK said...

Cath, I do hope I get a good number of these read. No matter what, it will be fun. Seeing the books that others choose also.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really interesting, Tracy! I respect the way you get involved in these challenges, and I'll look forward to reading your reviews.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I hope you read DEATH IS A LONELY BUSINESS by Ray Bradbury. I read it years ago and remember liking it. Your mention of it makes me want to re-read it. I also liked the title which is a typical Jack Higgins book title. Good luck for the challenge.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I meant the title reminds me of the titles of some of Jack Higgins' books.

TracyK said...

I got your drift, Prashant, re the Jack Higgins books. I have 3 on my kindle although it may be 2015 before I get to them. (HELL IS TOO CROWDED, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED and A PRAYER FOR THE DYING). I am looking forward to the Ray Bradbury book.

TracyK said...

I have already thought of a few more to add to the list, Margot. And I can't read them all. I guess it is better to have too much to choose from than too little.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I have read all the three novels you mention. I hope you start with THE EAGLE HAS LANDED which actually made Higgins famous. You'll like Liam Devlin's character although I'll never know why he has appeared in only there books. There is a film adaptation, too, with a terrific cast comprising Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, and Donald Pleasence. The book sequel THE EAGLE HAS FLOWN wasn't so good.

Coming to titles, Higgins seems to be obsessed with certain words as you'll see from his books like HELL IS ALWAYS TODAY, DRINK WITH THE DEVIL, THE THOUSAND FACES OF NIGHT, A DEVIL IS WAITING, THE LAST PLACE GOD MADE, and A FINE NIGHT FOR DYING. Among these I recommend THE LAST PLACE GOD MADE set in the Amazon jungles during WWII. It's a good adventure novel.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm going to have to look up those books. I don't recall seeing that Bradbury title, so that really has me intrigued. Thanks for being a part of this, I hope you read some delicious mysteries during the time.

TracyK said...

Thanks for those recommendations, Prashant. I do look forward to reading THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. We have the movie, and have watched it and enjoyed it. After I read the book, we will watch it again. I often see offers for decent prices for Higgins books on the kindle; I will pick more of them up.

TracyK said...

I do expect to read some great ones in the next two months. I thought of one that I have that fits R.I.P. perfectly ... a mystery with supernatural elements... and I started it yesterday. The book is THE WINE OF ANGELS by Phil Rickman and I am loving it.

Clothes In Books said...

The only one of these I know is the Ann Cleeves - I love the Shetland quartet. Good luck with the challenge - it's great the way you organize yourself to do them, I am full of admiration.

TracyK said...

Moira, I do have some efforts at organizing my reading, but really go off course. I suppose that is OK.

col2910 said...

I picke duop a couple of Genelin books recently secondhand cheapies - I hadn't heard of the author before. I'll be interested to see if you enjoy him.

TracyK said...

I should be reading Siren Of The Waters before the end of the year, Col, if I don't get to it for the R.I.P. challenge. I hope I like it; the setting sounds interesting.